6 years ago
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Rylin gets tubes
Rylin is over two years old now and doesn't say very many words at all. This summer we started her in the Up to 3 program that helps kids like her learn to speak. The very first time they came to our home they tested her hearing along with other things. She did not do well on the tests. We thought it was probably just a fluke because she understands everything we say and follows directions really well. She was tested several more times and all the results were the same. She went to the Ear, Nose, and throat specialist and they said she needed tubes in her ears. We never would have guessed any of this before. She never gets ear infections and she understands what you say. Most of the sounds she says or words she tries to say are vowel sounds. They explained to us that her middle ear was filled with fluid and she probably hears like we would underwater or if you were to plug your ears. So yesterday on September 6 she had tubes put in her ears. They were very efficient up there at the hospital. They had a little boys tubes and Rylin's tubes all done in less than half an hour. We got there at 6:45am to check in. She had her surgery around 7:50 and was done by 8am. They tried to warn us that little kids don't do well on anesthesia and that they will be unconsolable when they come back. When Rylin came back she was very quiet and just wanted to cuddle with me. The nurse said it looks like you guys are some lucky ones. The only thing Rylin wined about was the bracelet and oxygen thing on her foot and ankle. She ate ice right away. Then when they brought her the apple juice, she chugged it down. The nurse was worried she would throw up. She had to have another full sippy cup when we left. She did so well. When we changed her to her surgery PJ's she was not happy. She would not let us put on the shirt for a long time until we just forced her to put it on. She never really seemed really out of it to me. A little dazed when they brought her back, but not really. By that afternoon she was running around like nothing new had happened. The doctor said it would take a week or so for all the fluid to drain. Right now I don't notice a ton of difference. Hopefully soon she can pick up on the sounds we are trying to teach her. I was so scared about this surgery. I knew it was a very basic one but it scared me to death to not know if she would react to anesthesia. The night before, Dustin gave her a blessing with my dad and two brothers in the circle. It gave me a lot of comfort and faith that she would be fine. I love Rylin so much. She is the sweetest little 2 year old. She brings so much joy to our family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Kaleb had tubes put in when he turned two and it has made a world of difference!
I am glad it went well! Hopefully now it will help.
I am glad she is doing well. Don't get dicouraged if takes her a little while to learn to talk. When Ryan was doing speech therapy they said that he had to hear the same words over a thousand times before he would try and say it. And what she heard was different then what she is going to hear now.
Awwww I am so thankful that Rylin is okay and had such a speedy recovery! It's so hard to see such little tikes go into surgery.
I remember when Ethan broke his arm he was only 3 years old and he was crying for just mommy after he got out of surgery, I started to cry too. He didn't like the oxygen on him, and the iv he kept trying to rip out. What a blessing your sweet Rylin handled everything so well, so thankful for preisthood blessings.
Don't worry if she doesn't talk right away....Ethan didn't start talking until he was like 3 years old I swear and now I can't get him to be quiet! hahahah All in due time Cammie, all in due time. :) Miss you guys! We should hang out sometime. I will let you know when I am feeling better and making a trip to Cache Valley.
Post a Comment