Monday, January 26, 2009

From a teacher to parents

Hello friends,
Since most of us are now or will soon be entering into the stage of parenthood I would just like to give you some advice coming from a teacher's point of view. During the six years I have been teaching I have had some really nice comments from parents and some really harsh and mean comments from parents. Teachers need to hear more often what good they do for your children. We put in a lot of time and effort to help them learn. With all the mean dork heads I've had to deal with, most all of them have been misunderstandings, usually because their child told a fib to save their own hides and the parents never want to believe their child could do anything wrong. One thing I have learned is that all kids lie at some point or another to save themselves from getting in trouble.
So the next time your child comes home to you and tells you their teacher did something terrible and horrible and they are failing the class because the teacher is terrible, remember their is two sides to every story. Give every teacher a chance. Don't run in with guns blazing to the teacher and tell them how horrible they are. We're humans too and most every time the teacher hasn't done anything wrong or intentional. Be supportive of your kids' teachers and let them know that you appreciate them. We need to hear that stuff. Most teachers go into education because we care about kids and we want to help them learn. A lot of people think teachers have an easy job, that we just babysit. Dang, I wish I got paid as much as a babysitter did for how many kids I have. I would absolutely be RICH! We are not spoiled because we get our summers off. We need that time just to get going again. I know for a fact that most people would not last one single day in my job. That's okay. I like a challenge. So again anytime you can let those that help and teach your kids know you appreciate what they do.

10 comments:

Gunnell Fam said...

Great post, Cam! I totally agree. (from one teacher to another). We don't get enough gratitude, huh?! Hope all is well.

Scott and Athena said...

Hello, I found you on Tj and Erin's blog kind of funny. I've been wondering if you've had a blog for awhile now, hoping all is well. Congratulations on the second little girl. Maybe? Macie is a doll oh my heck. You guys look great. Glad that all is well. Looks like you guys had a great New Years Eve. It would be fun to see everyone. I miss everyone. So much has changed in such a short while. Good luck with your pregnancy. Can't wait to see a picture of her or him.

The Jensen Family said...

So true. Stay in there; you do a great job and I totally understand what you're saying. You're amazing.

Amy and Micheal said...

Amen to that! I myself don't personally know, but Micheal taught fifth grade before he joined the Army and I could not believe some of the things that went on. It was especially bad when we were in Vegas. It amazed me with the huge amounts of vile talk that came from parents. Utah was better, but we even had some bumps here. But it seems teachers get that no matter where you go. Thanks for a great post, Cammie!

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

I have always wondered what a teachers point of view would consist of! It's good to know! I am sure that you are a great teacher! Both at school and at home!

The Liechty's said...

I think it is strange that a parent blames bad behavior on a teacher. Teachers only have their child for a few hours where the parents have trained their little darlings for years. A little self examination please. Also intended for the government who seems to always blame a teacher for a childs success or non success. Never mind all the crap parents do now days.

Karen said...

Hi Cam-bird! I just found your blog! It is so fun to see your cute family! Sorry about the mean parents. Hang in there! You're wonderful!

Emily + Eric said...

Amen, hallelujah. Would you believe this kind of junk happens to Seminary teachers too? Yep. Everyone has perfect kids & you teachers are really messing up everything! Well said, Cammie.

The Liechty's said...

Time to up date your blog. I want to hear whats going on and see some pictures of Macie.

The Jensen Family said...

Happy Birthday on the 24th Dustin! Man, you're SO old!